Wednesday, August 22, 2018

The Children's Books I Still Keep On My Shelf

Okay, granted, I don't really keep children's books on my shelf. I mean, I can't really toss a book after I get it because Frog and Toad Are Friends is taking up too much space. I keep them in my official "special items" shelves in my closet so I can look through them whenever I'd like.



Anyway, I recently did a post on YA books about college students, so here are some of my favorite kids' books that I can't stand to throw away.


Go Dog Go, P.D. Eastman
Why I keep it: Sentimental Value, Still Loved


It doesn't get better than a board book of colorful dogs. Teaching kids about over/under/up/down/whatever, these awesome illustrations make you wonder, "where are those dogs going, anyway?" The answer is revealed in the last pages. Add in a subplot about a dog trying to impress others with her hat and you have a good book. The pages also smell really good, at least in my worn copy.



The Adventures of Captain Underpants; Dav Pilkey
Why I keep it: Sentimental Value; Still Loved

My sister and I got hooked on these. We even played our own game of Captain Underpants, pretending to be the superhero as we ran around the house solving crime. It's a clever story and good for those who don't necessarily like either superheroes or reading. Shame that the books weren't as good after the first 5.


The Fudge series; Judy Blume
Why I keep them: Still Loved

These stories don't have too too much of a plot, but they're great because they really throw you into another life and let you be another character for a day. My favorite is probably Fudge-a-Mania just because it hits the dynamics of family vacations and gatherings so well, and I love the additional characters. But they're all fabulous.


Winnie the Pooh: The Haunted House
Why I keep it: Sentimental Value

Does this look familiar? No? That's probably because its...get this...a personalized book. You simply filled in an order form and a story with your name on it. The result was a story with your name inserted at points. In this case, I was a character who helped Pooh and friends figure out the mystery of a not-so-haunted house. 





Changes for Kirsten; Janet Shaw
Why I keep it: Sentimental Value

Kirsten was my very first American Girl doll that led our family to our love and enjoyment of the franchise. My mom and I used to read a chapter from the six-book series every night before bed, and the doll was great fun as well. Plus, my book is one of the originals; as in, the very original design before the covers took on new looks. It's just special holding it in my hands, like an antique.


Aquamarine; Alice Hoffman
Why I keep it: Still Loved

Two girls who are threatened by the possibility of one of them moving away bond by meeting a mermaid who's washed up on the beach club that's closing down. The lyrical prose sparkles just as much as the story and holds nice messages about friendship. You could easily read this in thirty minutes. Way, way better than the movie for those who are asking, especially since the writing style is part of the experience. In my opinion, this book suffers from "Scholastic syndrome," or the fact that it was published by a kids' publishing house. I think any adult mermaid fan should give this a try. 

Frog and Toad Are Friends; Arnold Lobel
Why I keep it: Sentimental Value

These were a classic in the bedtime story department. My dad would read a few tales aloud before bed, and now that's how Frog and Toad's voices will sound. Who doesn't love this odd couple? From hiding in bed until spring to sending mail to being self-conscious in a bathing suit, I'm hoping this stays a classic. The pages and text may be dated, but the stories are not. Too much. 



What children's books do you still love? Let's get some chitchat going here.



No comments:

Post a Comment