Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Why I Disagree with Feminist Challenges of Disney Fairy Tales

Recently Keira Knightly was on the Ellen Show. She was talking about her three-year-old daughter and how she was allowed to watch any movies she wanted...with some exceptions. Basically Keira believed that The Little Mermaid and Cinderella are bad because "Ariel gives up her voice for a man and Cinderella waited around for a guy to save her." She went so far as to ban the movies from the house.



Unfortunately, in today's extremely wanting-to-be-politically-correct world, a lot of people are taking the same mindset. I think that's really sad! Let's think about this for a minute.

First of all, let's consider the context of when these stories originally came out. Fairy tales often served as stories that taught lessons when they were first written; oftentimes they served as warnings. Feminism wasn't exactly alive and kicking back then; if so, it was on a considerably smaller scale.  So they're not meant to be huge political statements. Especially the Disney versions. Considering that Cinderella came out in 1950, it makes sense that there probably won't be a lot of feminist messages. But so what? It's a good story. I liked it as a child. I couldn't care less about Cinderella's role in the home at age 4. And even so, can we please stop making the term "housewife" offensive? Many women choose that lifestyle and they do a great job with it. It doesn't mean they aren't ambitious or are passive.

Second, we need to actually pay attention to the stories. Since when did Cinderella have any desire to meet a guy to take her mind off her problems? All she wanted was to go to the ball. Sure it's possible that she wanted to meet the prince. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure that it was mentioned to Cinderella that the purpose of the ball was for the prince to find a wife. Mostly she dreamed about having a dress and taking time off from her tyrannical stepmother and stepsisters.

Now, Arial. Arial expressed an interest in being human long before she discovered Eric. She had a whole grotto filled with human treasures and a seagull friend that she talked to way before she actually had a love interest. And we know that she's bored of living under the sea when she sings about it...again, before she discovers Eric. She didn't give up her voice "for a man." She wanted a better life and was willing to take the risks...smart choice or not, you can decide for yourself. While there may have been some symbolism there, Ariel had plenty of motivation to want to live on land.

Still, some people say that Disney princesses are passive. I think this idea has actually gone by the wayside lately, but let's recap anyway:

Pocohontas tried to bridge a gap between two cultures.
Mulan saved China.
Jasmine refused to let others decide her future.
Merida had no interest in arranged marriages and wanted to decide her own future. She was also an excellent athlete.

Cinderella had qualities of her own. She was brave and didn't lose hope. She believed in the power of dreams and good friendship. She loved others as she loved herself. And yet I'm supposed to believe she's a bad role model?

Finally, you don't have to agree with a story to enjoy it. But I honestly don't believe these movies were telling girls they have to wait for a man. I never got that idea as a kid. I never got the supposed "message" that the creators of Barbie were trying to get me to be skinny either. They were dolls I enjoyed playing with; that's it. Unlike their parents, little kids take things at surface value. Even if they do think that being saved by a prince is nice, they won't go their whole lives thinking that. A little girl isn't likely to go into her twenties thinking, "A man has to save me. I learned that from Snow White when I was six!"

Not every story needs to be politicized and overthought. That kind of mindset can ruin stories. Often in the case of today's fairy tales, they're escapist stories to be enjoyed. I will be sad if little girls and boys don't get to grow up seeing movies like these; they're classics. And sometimes they're not meant to be any more than that.


What's your favorite fairy tale or Disney movie? Does it ever get challenged?

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I have 3 daughters and I never once thought.." Oh, she can't watch this! She might become passive or needy!" What is wrong with people reading so much into every. single. thing. Gheesh! Chill and watch a good, decent, classic movie! I'm more prone to relax and spend time with my girls watching whatever we choose than to spend my time ruining fairytales and spewing crap on the internet!
    Yes for Disney! Yes for Princesses! Yes for Fairytales!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I'm so glad you are using these movies with your kids. I hope they're something that never goes out of style.

      Delete